Asylum in the USA
What is Asylum?Asylum is a status that protects people in certain situations who:
-Meet the definition of a refugee: a person who is outside of his or her country and who is unable to return to or ask for the protection of that country because of persecution or a reasonable fear of persecution due to factors such as race, religion, nationality, or political affiliations.
-Are already in the United States.
-Are seeking to admission at a port of entry.
How do I gain asylum?In order to legally obtain the asylum status as a refugee, you need to file an application with US Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). While there is no cost associated with the application, those who are eligible for asylum need to apply within one year of entry to the United States. Spouses who are also already residing in the US may be put on the application for asylum as well. Children may be eligible to be filed on your application if they are unmarried and under 21.
What if I need help applying for asylum?If you’re seeking asylum and need help with the application, the lawyers at Rozas & Associates are here for you. With offices in Baton Rouge, Lafayette, and Alexandria and a team that includes Spanish speaking staff, we are well-equipped to assist you in the legal process of applying for asylum. If you have any questions, concerns, or you need more information about immigration or asylum, contact us today for a free consultation!
- Rozas & Associates: Experienced Immigration Lawyers
- Asylum in the USA
- What is the VAWA Act?
- What is The Cuban Adjustment Act, and Am I Eligible?
- Rozas & Rozas Law Firm can help you will all of your immigration, detention and deportation legal needs
- Immigration Attorney in Baton Rouge Discusses State Marriage Law Case Affecting Louisiana Immigrant
- Baton Rouge Immigration Attorney Discusses Executive Orders And Immigration
- Baton Rouge Criminal Lawyer Explains Restoring Voter Rights After A Felony Offense
- Louisiana Personal Injury Lawyer Explains The Myth of Full Coverage Insurance