The A Visas

The A visas, also known as the diplomatic visas, have 3 categories: A-1, A-2, and A-3.
A visas are granted to official representatives of a country, their employees and their dependents. Spouses and minor children are eligible for the same class A visa as the primary holder. All personal employees and attendants of A-1 and A-2 visa holders applying for A-3 visas must be interviewed.
A-1, A-2, and A-3 visas are issued at a U.S. Embassy or consulate in the home country, but the steps to apply can vary based on the place of application. Class A Visas are valid for a period of three years.
To learn more about A class visas or other topics like U.S. immigration and green card renewals or green card applications, contact the Louisiana immigration lawyers at Rozas & Rozas Law Firm.

The B Visas

The B visas, also known as visitor visas, have 2 categories: B-1 and B-2.
The B visas are for foreign travelers who want to enter the U.S. temporarily for planned travel, such as business, leisure, or a combination of the two. B-1 visas are for people traveling to attend business meetings, professional, educational, or scientific conferences. A foreign traveler may also receive a B-1 visa if she/he is traveling to negotiate a contract or settle an estate.

A B-2 visa is necessary if a person is traveling for recreational purposes such as tourism or visiting family or friends. Medical treatment in the U.S. requires a B-2 visa as well. B-2 visas are also required for participation in fraternal, social, or service activities and unpaid amateur participation in a musical contest, sports, or other related events.

According to the U.S. Embassy website,, the validity of a visa only relates to the amount of time the visa holder may travel to the U.S. and apply for admission. It does not determine the length of time you can stay in the United States. That is determined by the United States Customs and Border Protection Officer at the port of entry. Each traveler will be allowed to stay in the U.S. for an amount of time that is reasonable for the completion of the visit’s purpose.
The visa waiver program (VWP) allows people in qualified countries to potentially travel without a visa if they meet the requirements and are entering the U.S. for 90 days or less. Currently, 38 countries participate in the program.

To learn more about B class visas or other topics, like immigration to the U.S., contact the immigration lawyers at Rozas & Rozas Law Firm, with offices in Baton Rouge and Lafayette.

The E Visas

The E visas are temporary work visas that promote trade and investment between the U.S. and participating countries.
The E visas are offered to treaty traders, foreign investors, or professional Australian workers. Foreign investors must have invested, are the process of investing, or commit to investing a sizeable, continuing amount of capital. Foreign traders must have a substantial volume of trade, with at least 50 percent being between the U.S. and the applicant’s country of origin. Australian E visa applicants must be nationals of Australia and have a legitimate job offer in the United States.

The F Visas

The F Visas, also known as student visas, have 3 categories: F-1, F-2, and F-3.
F visas are for nonimmigrant foreign students and their dependents. F-1 visas are granted to full-time students who reside in another country but are pursuing an education in the U.S. They are only given in U.S. embassies or consulates outside of the United States, but F-1 visas can potentially be extended or changed within the United States. Before applying for an F-1, potential applicants must apply at a school in the United States.
F-2 visas are given to dependents (spouses or children) of F-1 visa holders. Only Canadian and Mexican residents who commute across the border to attend American schools are eligible for F-3 visas.

The H-1B Visa

The H-1B visa one type of work visa and is also known as the Person in Specialty Occupation visa.

The H-1B visa is for foreign or nonimmigrant employees of U.S. based companies in temporary positions. These jobs are often specialty occupations and typically require a bachelor’s degree or higher.
The H-1B visa is the most common nonimmigrant work visa for which people apply. In order for the process to begin, H-1B applicants must be sponsored and petitioned for by a U.S. employer. The H1-B visa allows for dual intent. This means that H1-B holders can seek permanent immigration to the U.S. under a green card application, without affecting their H1-B status.

To learn more about the H-1B application process, the standards set by the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS), or other information, contact our Louisiana immigration lawyers.

The J-1 Visa

The J-1 Visa is another type of student visa for foreign students in the U.S.
Typically, the J-1 visa is offered to foreign, nonimmigrant visitors taking part in programs that promote cultural exchange. J-1 applicants must be proficient in English and be sponsored by a U.S. government agency or a private organization. These applicants must show proof that they can support themselves while in the country and are not intending to immigrate to the United States.
To learn more about J-1 visas, or for information on how to become a U.S. immigrant through a green card application, contact our immigration lawyers at Rozas & Rozas Law Firm.

The L-1 Visas

The L-1 visas, also known as the intracompany transferee visas, are another type of work visa.
The L-1 visas are for the transfer of a foreign employee in an executive, managerial, or specialized knowledge position to the U.S. to continue working with an office of the same employer or a related branch.

Like the H1-B visa, the L-1 application process must be initiated by the employer. The L-1 visas are temporary, nonimmigrant visas. However, the document does allow for dual intent, meaning holders of an L-1 visa can apply for a green card without affecting their L-1 work visa. Holders of the L-1 who are seeking permanent residence may either apply for an adjustment of status in the U.S. or get an immigrant visa abroad.

The TN Visa

The TN visa is a work visa and is also known as the NAFTA Professionals visas.
The TN visa is an option for citizens of Canada or Mexico who want to work in the U.S. in a prearranged full or part-time position.
TN visas are typically not required for Canadian citizens unless they reside in a third-party country with a spouse or dependents who are not Canadian and plan to enter the United States with the non-Canadian family members. The Canadian will then need a TN so that the spouse and dependents can be eligible for the associated TD visa. If a TN visa isn’t required, Canadian citizens can apply for TN nonimmigrant status at a U.S. port of entry.

Mexican citizens require a TN visa to enter the U.S. as NAFTA professionals and should apply directly at a U.S. embassy or consulate in Mexico. Once approved, Mexican citizens can apply for entry as TN nonimmigrants at designated U.S. Customs and Border Patrol (CBP) ports of entry.
To learn more about TN visas, the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS), or other work visas to the USA, contact our immigration lawyers today.

Visa Applications, Immigration Court, Family Immigration, Green Cards, and More

Navigating through the immigration system alone can be a complicated and frightening process. Our Louisiana immigration attorneys are skilled and experienced in representing individuals with diverse legal and immigration problems. The attorneys at Rozas & Rozas Law Firm are committed to getting the best attainable outcome for our clients and their cases. We know how frustrating, difficult, and emotional immigration concerns can be. With multiple attorneys and staff who are bilingual, speaking English and Spanish, our team is prepared to assist you through the immigration process. Call today for a free consultation with our Louisiana immigration lawyers.

Consulta de abogados de inmigración

Representación en Inglés y Español

Llamanos al 225-478-1111

O contacta nuestra oficina en Louisiana para programar una consulta con un Abogado de Baton Rouge con experiencia que pueda manejar caso de ley de inmigración. Representacion en Ingles o español disponible.

Fill out my online form.