Need a citizenship lawyer?

Need a citizenship lawyer? Rozas & Associates are citizenship attorneys with the experience, the tools, and the knowledge to help you or your loved one apply for naturalization, and to overcome challenges in the citizenship process. We work with clients through a range of issues in the N-400 (citizenship) process, and we can help you too.

Contact Our Louisiana Citizenship Lawyers Today:

Experienced Citizenship Lawyer

Eligibility for United States Citizenship

According to the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS), you need to meet the following requirements before being eligible for American citizenship: 

  • You are at least 18 years of age 
  • You have been a permanent resident of the U.S. for at least 5 years 
  • If married to a citizen, you've been a permanent resident for at least 3 years
  • You meet all other eligibility requirements 

While this may seem confusing, the USCIS offers a free Naturalization Eligibility Tool you can use to determine your eligibility for citizenship, and Rozas & Associates can help you as well.

Eligibility for United States Citizenship

The United States Citizenship Process

Below are 10 Steps to Naturalization, which walks you through the steps of becoming a citizen. The basics are as follows:

  1. Determine if you're already a U.S. citizen. If you were born in the U.S. or if your parents are U.S. citizens, you could already be a citizen. A citizenship lawyer can help you make this determination if you're unsure. 
  2. Determine your eligibility to become a citizen. You can read Form N-400 for a complete list of eligibility requirements, or visit the Citizenship Resource Center, for more information. 
  3. Prepare Form N-400, the Application for Naturalization. You'll need to complete and sign this form, get 2 password-style photos, collect the documents necessary to prove your eligibility for naturalization, and review everything to make sure it's ready to submit. Rozas & Associates have helped many of our clients prepare their N-400s, so we know what to look for and what you'll need to succeed. 
  4. Submit your Form N-400, as well as the applicable documents and fees, to USCIS. Your submission should include the following documents: 
    • Form N-400 and any applicable biometric services fees 
    • Form N-648 (Medical Certification for Disability Exceptions), if applicable
    • Two passport-style photographs, if you reside outside the U.S.
    • Other document requirements as listed on Form N-400 
  5. Go to your biometrics appointment, if that requirement applies to you. Your fingerprints and photograph will be used by the FBI to perform a criminal background check, but in some cases, previously-taken biometric data can be used. In either case, all applicants must have a background check completed before USCIS will schedule an interview. 
  6. Complete your naturalization interview. Bring your appointment notice with you to the USCIS office at the given date and time. It's very important not to miss your interview, but if you must miss it, contact the office to reschedule as soon as possible. Rescheduling can add months to your naturalization process. At this interview, you can expect the following: 
    • You'll meet with a USCIS officer and answer questions about your Form N-400
    • You'll provide other necessary forms if you hadn't submitted them at the time you filed your N-400 
    • You'll take English and civics test, unless exempt 
    • Your case may be continued if they're unable to make a decision on your application the day of your interview 
    • Following your interview, you'll be provided with a notice of results 
  7. You'll receive a decision on your Application for Authorization: 
    • Granted: USCIS may approve your application if the evidence you've provided establishes your eligibility for citizenship 
    • Denied: If you're not eligible for citizenship, the USCIS will deny your application
    • If your application is denied, you'll have the opportunity to appeal the decision. Call an citizenship lawyer today for help on your appeal. 
  8. You'll receive a notice to take your Oath of Allegiance. In some cases, you'll be able to participate in the ceremony on the same day as your interview; otherwise, you'll receive a notice in the mail for the date, time, and location of your ceremony. 
  9. Take the Oath of Allegiance to the United States. This Oath is what makes you an official American citizen. If you've made it this far—congratulations! 
  10. Enjoy the rights and responsibilities of U.S. citizenship! 

These steps can be long and daunting. If you need help throughout this process, call Rozas & Associates to speak with an attorney. 


How Can a Citizenship Lawyer Help Me with the N-400 Process?

The N-400 is a common form used to apply for U.S. citizenship. Its average processing time is between 8–13 months, and costs $725. Some applicants are eligible for early filing and a reduction in fees, so it's important to check your options as you apply with Form N-400. Basic rules include 

  • Naturalization based on five years as a permanent resident
  • Fast-track naturalization based on a three-year marriage to a U.S. citizen
  • Fast-track naturalization through military service 
  • Appeals of denials 

In addition, the USCIS will look at any criminal convictions you may hold, your moral character, and other details about your life. We can help you defend yourself and make a case that you deserve citizenship given your specific situation. Call us today at (225) 478-1111 to speak with an attorney!

Citizenship Lawyer

Questions to Ask Your Citizenship Attorney

Do I lose citizenship with my home country if I apply for citizenship in the United States?

This is a complex question. The United States does allow dual citizenship, and they will recognize it when you become a US citizen. However, the eligibility requirements are not the same in every country. 

Your home country may not recognize your status as a U.S. citizen when you are on their soil. In extreme cases, there are countries that will terminate your citizenship if you apply for citizenship in the United States and complete the process. 

That being said, familiarizing yourself with your country’s laws and finding a citizenship lawyer who offers free immigration consultations can be extremely helpful, especially when educating yourself on dual citizenship qualifications.


Can US citizenship be revoked?

Although it is very rare, yes, citizenship in the U.S. can be revoked from a naturalized citizen. The process is called “denaturalization.” 

There are 4 main offenses that are considered grounds for denaturalization: 

  • Falsification or concealment of relevant facts 
  • Refusal to testify before congress 
  • Membership in subversive groups 
  • Dishonorable military discharge 

If a denaturalization lawsuit is filed against you or any family members, it is highly recommended that you consult with an experienced citizenship attorney.


How long does the citizenship process take?

The application (Form N-400) processing time is around 8–13 months, but the time it takes to complete the entire naturalization process can be anywhere from 16 to 22 months. However, there are many factors that can affect the timeline of legally immigrating.


What kind of questions are on the citizenship test?

When you take the citizenship test during the immigration process, you can expect all types of questions that pertain to the United States. The subjects of the citizenship questions can range from battles the US has fought in, to foreign affairs, to present-day legalities. 

Because there are so many possibilities, it is highly recommended that you study and take advantage of citizenship practice tests. These can be obtained at a citizenship resource center or even online. Finding a citizenship attorney at a law firm near you would give you a large huge advantage as well.

Consulta de abogados de inmigración

Representación en Inglés y Español

Llamanos al 225-478-1111

O contacta nuestra oficina en Louisiana para programar una consulta con un Abogado de Baton Rouge con experiencia que pueda manejar caso de ley de inmigración. Representacion en Ingles o español disponible.

Fill out my online form.