Children born out of Country to United State Citizen Parents

Jul 27, 2023 by Rachel Chappell Chauvin


Having a child born outside of the United States can present additional obstacles when it comes to getting your child American citizenship. However, if you are a U.S. citizen who has a child born abroad, there are several options available for you to get your child U.S. citizenship. This blog post will guide you through the process of getting citizenship for your child and the important steps that you need to take.

1.Check Eligibility 
Before proceeding with the birth abroad process, it is essential to confirm that your child is eligible for U.S. citizenship. Generally, the following requirements must be met:
- At least one of the child's parents must have been a U.S citizen when the child was born.
- The parent must have lived in the U.S for a certain period before the child's birth.
- In some cases, if the parent is a U.S. citizen by birth but has never lived in the U.S, additional requirements may need to be met.
For those who meet the eligibility requirements, you can move on to the next step.
2. Obtain proof of your U.S Citizenship
The first step towards getting U.S. citizenship for your child is to obtain proof of your own U.S. citizenship. You can do this by obtaining your U.S. passport or your Certificate of Naturalization or Citizenship. This document will be required for the next stage in the process.
3. Collect Required Documents 
After you have obtained proof of your U.S. citizenship, the next step is to collect the required documents for your child’s citizenship application. You will need your child’s birth certificate, proof of your own U.S. citizenship, and a passport-sized photo of your child.

4. File an application for Consular Report of Birth Abroad 
You will need to file an application for a Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA) at the U.S. embassy or consulate in the country where your child was born. This document is the equivalent of a U.S. birth certificate and serves as proof of your child’s U.S. citizenship.
5. Apply for Your Child's Passport
After obtaining the CRBA, you can apply for your child’s U.S. passport. This document is essential for international travel and is proof of your child’s U.S. citizenship.

6. Get your child a social security Number 
Finally, you will need to get your child a Social Security Number (SSN). You can apply for the SSN at any Social Security Administration office. This number is required for your child to be able to work or to receive any government benefits in the future.

Getting U.S. citizenship for your child born abroad to U.S. citizens is a process that can take several months. An experienced Immigration Attorney can help guide you through the process and the filings. By starting the process early and being well-prepared with all the necessary documents, you can ensure that the process goes as smoothly as possible. Once you have obtained U.S. citizenship for your child, your child will have all the benefits and privileges of being a U.S. citizen, including the ability to travel and work in the United States, vote, and access government benefits.

Speak With Us Now

Representation in English & Español

Call 225-478-1111.

Submit a form to our Louisiana law firm to schedule a consultation with an experienced Louisiana lawyer to handle your criminal defense, immigration, or family law needs. English and Spanish-speaking representation is available.